Check our Latest products!
As a taller or larger than average man, you have, no doubt, always been aware that you do not simply blend into the crowd as your average sized peers. You know that there are only a few select stores that carry sizes and styles suited to your body type and that the majority of fashion trends are created for the average sized person and the chronically undersized people. Typical in a world with a one size fits all mentality.
But there is no reason to throw in the towel and give up. After all you need to leave the house in more than your birthday suit from time to time. You should be able to look hip and stylish and not have to dress like an old man because those are the only clothes you could find that were comfortable.
We have all seen that person who appears to dress in the dark, without a mirror and is basically wearing all the wrong things for their body type. Read on and find out how to avoid it happening to you. It may be a good idea to read this in front of a mirror and see if any of these mistakes are something you have going on right now without realizing it!
1. Don’t Blindly Follow Trends; Some folk think that fashion is all about being on the cusp of the next big craze. Always having the newest, most up to date style on. Those people would be incredibly wrong and most likely look like complete goof balls at least some of the time. When you look at truly stylish people you will notice that they incorporate ‘some’ hip new elements into their wardrobe but that they keep their essentials basic and complimentary to their body type. If you are a husky or bear sized fella, then the whole skinny jean fad will probably not work well for you. Even if they come in your size and are in a mens big and tall store you still shouldn’t go there. That doesn’t mean you are doomed to wear carpenter jeans from the ’90’s for the rest of your life. You can still find jeans that are cut narrow or straight and that will give the appearance of a more tailored silhouette, but you just should try out jeggings (jean leggings ugh).
2. Understand Pant Length; This is an interesting tip that few guys seem to really get. Just because something feels good on your body, doesn’t mean that it looks good or shows off your assets well. Cotton, which is what most denim and pants are made from and it has a natural shrinkage factor of about 5%. This means that after washing and potentially drying your clothing, you can expect to lose most of that to shrinking in the length of your garment. So, if you are trying to get away with buying big and tall pants right off the rack, and they are exactly the perfect length when you buy them…. they most likely won’t be after a few wash and wears. You may not realize that very few people can get away with buying pants and not having the length adjusted.
3. Decoding the Fabric; Just because something feels good on your body, doesn’t mean that it looks good or shows off your assets well. We would all love to wear silk, cashmere and other soft and supple fabrics. They glide along the skin so beautifully and breath so well, it’s no wonder they cost so darn much. However, silk glides along the skin and shows every single facet of your body to everyone. Therefore, if you have a few extra pounds here or there and a roll or two, then clingy and body conscious fabrics, will only draw attention to this fact. Wearing an undershirt with some support to can solve this problem. Men’s shapewear is comfortable and easy to find in stores that cater to the big and tall crowd as well as online.
4. Simply Buying Larger Sized Clothing is Not Enough; You have the clothes, in the right size and in a style that is becoming to your body type. Now have them laundered and get thee to the tailor. I know what you’re thinking right now, you are thinking that I am asking for too much. Trying to push above and beyond the call of fashion duty. But the problem is that most clothing designers create clothing based on an average size and then just increase the measurements to create larger sizes. They don’t really seem to take into account the way that a shirt or pair of pants will look when it is simply up-sized that way. For example, if you have a larger neck girth, the corresponding shirts that will fit your neck will also look like a circus tent on your frame. You could wear it like that, however, you will find that you will be far more comfortable, have less fabric to tuck into your waistband and less likely hood of being abducted by carnival folk, if you have a tailor take in the shirt to fit your body.
5. Spend The Money on Good Quality, Long Lasting Basic Pieces; Have a wardrobe that isn’t a slave to the trends and needing to be replaced every season. See your clothing as an investment, have it tailored or laundered and get as much wear and tear out of it as possible. Add in one or two on trend elements each season to stay current but make the effort to have well tailored quality clothing. Refuse to have anything you wear be a poor fit, right down to your big and tall underwear. You will be amazed at how much more comfortable and confident you will feel when things aren’t pulling up or down all the time!
So there you have it! All the things you need to find your inner fashion icon. Yes, it may take a little time and attention initially, but you will find that once you have worn some clothes that you can be proud of and that show you off properly, you will never go back to your old habits.Write by phanmemgoc