Check our Latest products!
Kudos to all your enterprising skills but there is still a lot more to do. The final trimester is actually more of fun as you start planning on how to take care of your baby. There are e-books to read, cool tips on nursing, importance of breastfeeding lessons and new born care. The checklist seems an exhaustive one but once you are a parent the instinct gets honed sharper and adaptation is easy.
A support system is of utmost importance. So engage in the services of a helper and cook for a few months. It is also good if you can talk to a relative who can stay with you for a few months. Broken sleep is a going to be commonplace, but as soon as the baby settles you will find yourself with more time. Carpentry or paint work needs to be done well in advance. Fixing leaks or repairing chipped wallpaper is a must so that there are no allergens. Babies grow very soon and soon your new born will crawl, so try and make your home as child friendly rooms with corner cushions for sharp edged furniture, check on the sliding windows and kitchen cabinets and discard wobbly furniture. Also child proof all electrical sockets and invest in other baby proofing products.
Here are a few things you need to put in place before getting home with newborn:
For the baby
• A good paediatrician.
• Name and address of a neo-natal hospital.
• A cupboard or additional/new storage space.
• A baby crib.
• A stroller (hands me down are good too).
• Several small sized mattresses/mini duvets/blanket.
• Few bibs ( helps if the baby gurgles).
• Baby clothes/bib/cap/mittens/socks (depending on the weather).
• Diapers (Initially do buy a brand and check if it suits the baby’s skin.
• Anti-rash cream/ointment ( if baby develops a diaper rash).
• Bath tub.
• Fresh set of napkins.
For the mom and dad and general needs
• A night lamp.
• A chair beside the bed.
• Service or check on the air conditioner, heater or fan.
• Additional pillows for the mom.
• Special nursing bras.
• Breast pads.
• Spandex pants and T-shirts
• A jar on the bedside (to store anything from chocolate milk or warm water) if you need to wake up at night.
• Tissues of the wet variety (anti septic wipes) for mom and baby.
• Breast pump.
• Store healthy snacks for the nursing mom.
• Stock grocery well in advance.
• Baby Harness (for a little later time)
• Re-evaluate Invest in a landline or a reliable wifi.
• A handwritten diary all mobile and landline numbers right from grocery to doctors and friends. (it works well when there is an emergency and the Wifi is off or there is no network).
• Nursing gowns.
• A hanging cloth bag (handy to store the overnight essentials right from diaper to a bra).
• E-books, Novels, downloaded music or movies (for a little pleasure).
• Ointments and creams and medicines. (iron/calcium pills, cream for nurturing self and precautionary cream in case you develop sore nipples).
• Baby drip dry stand.
• Mild detergent for washing baby’s clothes.
• Baby shower gel, safe anti septic liquid, recommended powders, lotions and cream (Get a small quantity initially to check if it suits your baby).
• A handy notebook and pencil (track your baby’s milestones and congratulate yourself).
• A good camera to capture new memories.